Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Ongoing Mission to Watch Star Trek: The Next Generation


So, I never watched Star Trek: The Next Generation when it was on TV. This odd for several reasons. First, I was a sci-fi geek preteen when it came on in 1987. When I was in high-school most of my friends watched it and quoted it all the time but I stubbornly refused to get into it. I started watching Star Trek: Enterprise a few years ago on DVD and have seen various episodes of different shows and on a whim I have just recently embarked on a mission to watch the whole series of The Next Generation from start to finish.

So far I've learned that Dianna Troi is great at reading basic body language and facial expressions and that, when all else fails, separate the saucer section.

I just watched the episode "Symbiosis" in which the Enterprise and crew stumble upon a ship full of hypes and their dealers. Watching Picard react to the ship's clearly baked captain and crew was hilarious.

In fact, they should do a new show based around a medical marijuana ship which boldly goes, you know, wherever. Maybe nowhere.

"Number 1, what warp factor are we in?"

"Captain, we're not moving."

The episode was a Trek meditation on addiction and promped Tasha Yar to give the following speech:




Um, all I got out of that speech was that "Drugs can make you feel good." In fact, she kind of makes me want to start doing drugs. (I may not be young anymore but I am still impressionable.) And is it just me, or does, she really seem like she knows what she's talking about? Data was looking at her like, "Tasha, shut up." I thought she was going to start rolling up a joint for Wesley Crusher.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Funny observations. Yar *does* seem to have intimate knowledge of drug abuse. Note: Data is hot in the episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll notice that her drug-enjoying ass got killed off in the very next episode.

    ReplyDelete