Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2009: The Musical That Was.


2009 is about to be up and out of here in a minute kids and here's a quick look back at the musica that gave me that crunch up my face, Gaahd Damn, who the hell is this feeling. WARNING! ACHTUNG! FIJATE! Not all of these songs were released in 2009. Don't consider that a cheat, consider more that these are the songs that made me clutch my chest, that made me smile, that made me think of someone special, that made me have my solo dance parties, that I'm gonna play at my next house party (soon people), that made me sing out loud, that made me ignore you on the train, that made me think everything is alright if you got your music with you.

"Zero" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs from the album It's Blitz: Go ahead, ask me how I feel about Karen O. I wish you would. I am a fan and if you ever meet her you do me a favor and let her know my name is Ricky. This is the album that makes the convincing argument that dancing with a girl in a blue cape is something we should all strive for.




"Talking 'Bout My Baby" by Fatboy Slim from the album Halfway Between The Gutter And The Stars: Here's what you do. On a nice summer day, when you wake up next to your wonderful woman and she says, "What are we gonna do today baby?". You play this song for her and you just belt out those vocals to her. "Under the big bright yellow sun!". Thass right.




"Gettin' Up" by Q-Tip from the album The Renaissance: "Ahhhh! Here's my Q-Tip!" That was the reaction a lot of us had when we heard "Gettin' Up" after we were all a little disappointed with his first album Amplified. The Renaissance made us realize again that "what good is a ear if a Q-Tip isn't in it.". And for the record I would wear every outfit that Tip rocks in the video. Red military blazer, fox hat, shorts, big rimmed glasses. I'll rock that no doubt.




"Show You The Way To Go" by The Jacksons from the album The Jacksons: I never would have known of this song had it not been for the Michael Jackson Tribute mix made by DJ Premier shortly after Michael died. The mix is hot. Talk to that. This cut is one reason why. Young Michael in full dance floor R&B smooth swagger mode.




"Sooner Or Later" by N.E.R.D. from the album Seeing Sounds: "Sooner or later it all comes crashing down.". Well crashing never sounded so good. Enjoy the crash, and the cymbals, and the sick guitar solo, and "It's Over! Leave It!".




"It's Your's" by Jon Cutler Feat. E-Man (Tiefschwarz Vocal) from the album After The Playboy Mansion [Disc2]: You like housing it up? You like feeling good about yourself at the same time? Would you like to combine those two feelings? Then this song would like to talk to you for a minute.



"Make Her Say" by Kid Cudi Feat. Kanye West and Common from the album Man On The Moon: End Of Day: "Day N' Night" was Cudi's big hit and the obvious choice but as much as I loved it I gotta go with "Make Her Say". The old school drum beat, the scratches, and the guest vocals by Kanye and Common put this one on top. Especially Common's verse "They say you be on that conscious tip, get your head right and get up on this conscious dick."



"New Wu" by Raekwon from the album Built For Cuban Linx Pt.II: Throw your W's up. Don't fight that lip curl that happens while you listen to this. That is the natural Wu Tang reaction at work. Embrace it. Wu Tang International.



"Thank You" Jay-Z from the album The Blueprint 3: Thank you Hector for giving me this album. You're welcome to everybody who got a copy from me.



"JuJu" by Black Coffee feat. Zakes Bantwini from the album Home Brewed: I heard this song courtesy of Mario Romay from Groove Parlor and believe me when I tell you everyone in the spot turned and looked over at him like, "What is this?!?"



"I Don't Need It" by Jamie Foxx from the album Intuition: I heard this on the Mediterranean Sea. I danced to it in a palace in Istanbul. DJ Sadie and Madrid Perry. Thank you.



"Funky Kingston" by Toots & The Maytals: The first thing that's gonna happen is your leg is gonna start bouncing, then you're gonna put your fist up, then you're just gonna be magically stoned. Enjoy. Thank you James Fritz.



There was more, a lot more that I could have put on here but that's just a taste of what the musical good times were like this year. Thanks to everybody who gave me music this year: Groove Parlor, Paul, Angel, Fritz, Hector, Gusto, Becky, Evan, Zo, Josh, Michael, etc., You don't know how happy it makes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment