Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Pledge Allegiance To The House Groove.


A few weeks ago I wrote a quick post about an article that appeared in the Chicago Reader. The article was a story about Chicago House music, specifically Chicago Hip House music and it's revival that was beginning to be felt in the music scene. I liked the article and I figured someone else out in InternetLand might enjoy it as well so I passed it along. Within minutes of me posting it on Facebook I recieved a message that read simply "Don't bring back hip house.". I knew who the person was. He's a prominent House DJ in Chicago, definately one of my favorites, but I won't say his name because frankly I didn't ask permission and that wouldn't be professional.

I did want to know why he didn't want me to "bring hip house back" so I asked him why. "Hip house almost killed house music". Really? Clearly that didn't turn out to be the case. House music is still going strong today while eventually Hip House did seem to become more of a novelty. But the immediate response and request to not bring Hip House back really intrigued me. Are House music lovers divided? Is there a separation of House and State? Are there 2 camps in the land of House? Unfortunately I believe there are. All does not seem well in the land of House. There is a rivalry. There is a rivalry of rhythmic design and no one is wanting to get off of the dance floor.

"You see House music is a universal language spoken understood by all."
-Larry Heard House classic Can You Feel It.

On one side of the dance floor there are those who love the House music of today. They aren't looking to just go down House music's memory lane. They enjoy House music that doesn't only remind them of their high school dances. They don't use House music for nostalgic effect. It's as relevant to their lives today as to when they first heard it in a friend's basement, a club, or crowded around the radio with a finger on the play and record button of their tape deck so they could own for themselves a WBMX Saturday night live ain't no jive dance party. Their House music today doesn't just rely on those moments of the past. They've taken their history of House and moved forward with it. The House music they listen to and play is of today's age.

On the other side there are those who are satisfied going back to the glory days of their youth with House music. They want to hear the classic hits and everything else can fall to the wayside. They want to sing about their Fantasy Girl, they want to jack it up to The Love I Lost, and they reaaallly want to know when it's time for the Perculator. Being at a club where this style of House music is preferred and trying to play some new Deep House is risk-taking, likely to be met with looks of confusion towards the DJ booth, and eventually whispers of "What's his problem? How come he don't play no good House?".

"Gotta have House! Music all night long. With that House! Music you can't go wrong. Gimme that House! Music to set me free."
-Marshall Jefferson House classic Move Your Body

Is this rivalry the Sox/Cubs rivalry of music in Chicago? I don't think so. There's a lot of hate in that rivalry and for all the preferences House music lovers have I've never heard one group use the word hate when describing how they feel about a different style of House. I've been on both sides of the dance floor and you know what I've noticed? People just want to hear good music. Music is art and art cannot be simplified and judged and called right or wrong. On a Saturday night when we feel good cause we know we look good, the mood is right, the feelings right, you got your boys and your girls around you, we want one thing. We want to hear good music. There are nights where I want to hear some soulful Deep House that feels so good, so bumpin', so gospel-like that I can tear it up on the dance floor catching the House Holy Spirit with one fist up in the air, my feet right on the beat, and with a smile from ear to ear and you better keep up with me girl cause this is what I consider good livin'. Other nights I want to kick it old school and I want to remember why I started loving House music in the first place so go ahead DJ and tell me about Tyree Cooper, the producer, awesome super duper trooper. But it's never going to be one or the other for me and I hope it won't be for you. Like the song says, "In the beginning there was Jack and Jack had a groove. And from this groove came the grooves of all grooves. And while one day viciously throwing down in his box Jack roared and declared "Let There Be House!" and House music was born."

Highly Recommended Watching:

History Of House - Documentary about history of house music from its origins in the late 70s disco scene, to 2000. Additional content: "Disco to Hip-Hop","Universal Techno","1989 SUMMER OF RAVE", and "BBC News: World in Action - The Acid House Report."

Recommended Listening (Some of my favorite House cuts):

Larry Heard's Can You Feel It
Marshall Jefferson's Move Your Body
Earth People's Dance
Robert Owens' I'll Be Your Friend
Derrick May's Strings Of Life
Green Velvet's Preacherman

Ricky Carmona

No comments:

Post a Comment