Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jake Peavy? Is That Your Boy?

Jake Peavy throws an orb at a man with a stick and gets paid millions of dollars to do so.
I usually don't hate on the White Sox in public, but on a day like this I couldn't resist. I don't even care that the Cubs might get swept by the Cardinal tonight. For the moment, I celebrate what a lowly day it is for White Sox Nation. They swing a deal for former Cy Young award winner Jake Peavy but need his approval. He's in San Diego (for now) and at the time of this post the Padres are 18-22 with 5 wins in a row. I heard Peter Gammons mention that Peavy wants to be part of bringing the Padres back to prominence. Back? Did they sign Kevin Brown again? I thought Tony Gwynn had retired? They're 10 games back of LA right now. Maybe he just wants to be Manny Free for another 40 games or so. If he really does want to be Manny Free he should go to the Sox. The only way he'll face him then is in the Series and that ain't happening. I don't think the Padres are going anywhere. Let's say it like it is...Peavy likes sunny SD. I don't know if the man is married or not, but I imagine the beaches are pretty nice for a ballplayer in San Diego. Year round. Married or not.

The White Sox on the other hand...Ooph. They're 17-23, losing 7 of their last 1o and have just returned from Toronto where Sox fans know they don't play so well. They went 1-6 on the road trip, but the cherry on top was todays 20-1 drubbing at the hands of the Minnesota Twins. So ask yourself, would you want to leave San Diego to come to Chicago?* I wonder if Peavy is the kind of dude who rolls the dice with his life. Maybe he said to himself early in the day "If the sox win today, I'll go". Well, if I haven't been clear, or you don't follow the San Diego Padres, Mr. Peavy said "No thanks" to the Chicago White Sox. The strawberry on top of the cherry however is that his desired location is actually in Chicago...but to the Cubs. Now, let's make that happen.**
Jake Peavy...is that your boy?

* I actually moved from San Diego to Chicago when I was 12. Alas, I didn't have a multi-million dollar option in the deal.

**There is a very strong White Sox presence on this blog, so you won't see a lot of Sox hate here. We have one Cub fan, one Sox fan and one dude who asks what quarter is it at a ballgame.

No comments:

Post a Comment