Saturday, December 18, 2010

Hey Have You Seen The Tree of Life Trailer?



Damn. I wish my eyes could see the world the way Terrence Malick’s movies visualize it. I don’t want to come off as corny right off the bat but watching his movies, well the only intelligent way I can put it is that shit is like watching a moving painting. I get blown away by each frame. Here’s the trailer to his next movie The Tree of Life.

I get a very Thin Red Line-esque (that’s right I make up words on this) vibe from this first trailer. I have no problem with that. I love The Thin Red Line. When it comes to contemporary war movies people usually fall into three categories: Saving Private Ryan people, Black Hawk Down people, and people like me who don’t shut the hell up about The Thin Red Line.

The Thin Red Line was a huge deal when it first came out. It’d been twenty years since Malick had made a movie and every actor around wanted to be in on this one. Go back and look at the cast of The Thin Red Line. Everybody is in that movie. I’m at the point now when I watch it I’m just looking to see who’s not in it. Like how is Billy Crudup not in TTRL? If I was Billy Crudup and I was watching TTRL on a lazy Sunday afternoon sitting on my couch butt naked and blue in my Watchmen makeup I’d be like, “Am I in this movie? Jesus Christ aka Jim Caviezel is in this, Adrien Brody’s in this movie, there’s John C. Reilly, John Travolta, Sean Penn, Nick Nolte, Nick Nolte’s sweaty forehead veins. Damn! Casey Jones from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie is in this! Am I in this? Why am I not in this?”

Talk to that Criterion Collection blu-ray if you haven’t yet. It’s fantastic. It’s a a great way to see the movie for the first time and the bonus features do as good a job as I’ve seen on Malick’s movie making process.

*Spoiler alert, according to everyone who worked on TTRL Malick’s way of making movies is: 1)Genius oozes out of him. 2) He makes a lot of it up as he goes along.

Damn, I said all of that and I’m supposed to be talking about The Tree of Life. You’re going to get everything in this first trailer that you’ve come to expect from Malick. Voice overs, eye candy galore, and visions of space that I haven’t seen since the last time I did acid and was convinced tacos were the key to life’s answers. Sign me up! It stars Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, and Jessica Chastain (her last name should be Chastity. Don’t ask me why but it should.) The Tree of Life opens on May 27, 2011. You’ll be wondering what the hell it was about on May 28th.

No comments:

Post a Comment