Sunday, June 13, 2010

Hey Have You Seen The New Mortal Kombat: Rebirth Trailer?


First thing I should say is that this isn't a trailer to a new Mortal Kombat movie. There is not a new Mortal Kombat movie being made.........yet. However there has been a lot of positive feedback to this teaser called Mortal Kombat: Rebirth that it may happen at some point in the near future. This is a teaser/visual pitch to Warner Bros. by a director named Kevin Tancharoen who wants to make a new Mortal Kombat movie.

The first time I saw it I didn't have an all out nerd-gasm but I definitely had to readjust my Green Lantern underwear. What will probably stick out to you the most after you watch this is that they're going for a more realistic approach. Apparently we had a bit of a problem believing this before:

That's Christopher Lambert as Raiden from the original Mortal Kombat movie. I believe that picture was taken at a HotShots Hot Spot Photo Shop in a Waukegan strip mall.

No the new Mortal Kombat characters are going to be looking like this:

That's Reptile. Go ahead and mention to him that he got some shit on his face. Let me know how that works out for you.

Real quick, the problems that I did have with this teaser are pretty small. The recognizable actors, Michael Jai White aka Jax (aka Black Dynamite!) don't do any fighting onscreen. I have no idea who the actors are who are playing Johnny Cage, Scorpion, and Baraka so I don't know if they can actually act. They look like they can whoop that ass though. My biggest complaint is that I'm really not crazy about *Baraka's look.


Baraka looks like a cross between Lil' Wayne, and....well shit Lil' Wayne. Don't believe me?



But those are things I can let slide. If this is the direction that they're going to take a new Mortal Kombat movie than I'm in. I'll make sure to buy more Green Lantern underwear to prepare myself. What say you?

You can read an interview with the director of the teaser here where he explains how he would handle the new Mortal Kombat film.

*You can also really impress me by coming up with a Halloween Baraka Obama costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment